Monday, January 18, 2010

70s Style and Design Plug In Aid of Haiti


Dominic Lutyens has co-written with Kirsty Hislop the most definitive reference book on the Seventies called 70s Style and Design. (Dominic and Kirsty, please send my 'fiver' for the plug to the Haiti appeal).

Dominic is now in the middle of producing his next book on Celia Birtwell (for Quadrille), whom Karl Lagerfeld once declared to be the best textile designer in the world. Friends of Ms Birtwell, who include David Hockney are currently raiding their archives for (incriminating?!) photographs of Celia for Dominic's new book.

I don't have a grand piano to put my framed photographs on, so all my pics are nailed to the walls. After Dominic came round today, he walked off with several photographs including some of me dressed in a one off costume designed by Birtwell. Fashion pundits take note: she made this reversible outfit when she was designing clothes for the 'late' Radley fashion label, way before she designed stuff for Top Shop.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a shrine to Celia Birtwell, as after Dominic had finished looting the snaps of her, my walls were left bare. Is this the modern way to do picture research?

No comments: